How to extract multi-part zip files

Have you ever seen these file ?

• zipfiles.zip
  • zipfiles.z01
  • zipfiles.z02
  • zipfiles.z03
  • ……
  • zipfiles.z10

These are the multi-part of zipped files, which mean  one big file are to big to make archive so it should split  into several files. These files were created by winzip. Probably for many people (included me) it such a weird file, and they don’t know how to extract the file archives.

After my research in whole google how to extract it, here i want to share to you how to extract it.

For window platform
There are so many software has support for these extension such as winzip, winrar, 7-zip, and many other, put those file in one folder, and then just click with your supported software above, and whala…. the file  extracted.

For linux platform
The problem for newbie user in linux is they don’t now how to combine the command within. I got the problem too with these platform, but that’s why i like most with this platform, it challenged me to know. Alright then here the command for solve this problem.

hendra-k@server $ cat zipfiles.* > zipfiles-full.zip
hendra-k@server $ zip -F zipfiles-full.zip
hendra-k@server $ unzip zipfiles-full.zip

here the description for these command above :

hendra-k@server $ cat zipfiles.* > zipfiles-full.zip
= merging those file into one full zipped file

hendra-k@server $ zip -F zipfiles-full.zip
= Fixing the archive of the overall zipped files

hendra-k@server $ unzip zipfiles-full.zip
= Extract the full zipped fil

Hope this tutorial is usefull for you

Similar Posts:

45 thoughts on “How to extract multi-part zip files

1. Pingback:   Descompactando ZIPs de múltiplos volumes (multi-part / multipart) by ÚltimoLOG

2. jordi

Why bother linux anyways only gives you crap, i’m only trying to get a XP Pro image and it can’t even fucking unrar a file or deal with a multi-zip file8-|

3. Pingback: How to extract multi-part zip files in Linux : Linux T&T

4. Pingback: links for 2008-09-29 « My place

5. Alex Krenvalk

For that there is a many programs,but me like this tool-repairing zip files,exactly it could helped me,very popular freeware tool, it permits to save a lot of free space, when storing data,supports all Windows operating systems, starting from Windows 98, i.e. Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 and Windows Vista,can see such messages, like Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive, CRC error or some other failures,will see a list of files, that can be recovered, registered customers can save the files to HDD and finish with recovery process.

6. anze

@jordi: interesting, I have just unzipped multi-part zip file and unrar-ed the file that was in there (in Linux of course). So I guess the problem is in you, not in Linux. :)

(don’t ask me why someone sent me such files – windows users do all sorts of weird things)

But yes, unzip should support the multi-part unzipping without workarounds. We are all waiting for the next major version.

7. Like

There are 4 parts of zip file (wmv). But I have only part 1 & 2, And I cannot find part 3 & 4. Thus, can I extract only part 1 &2, then see it by movie player?

Please help to advise!

Thanks in advance.

8. Bryan

Thank you for this tutorial! The man page told me what needed to be done, but not really how to do it.

The only change I’d see is that when I ran the command:

zip -F

I recieved the following:

zip: reading
    zip: warning: would be truncated.
    Retry with option -qF to truncate, with -FF to attempt full recovery

I used the -FF, but I don’t know if it will work or should be recommended…It’s still reading the file (4 hours later).

9. Jimr

How do you do this in windows with winzip. I did what was posted, but there was no whala, no unzipped, combined 4 files. files are .z01-.z04

10. Pingback: How to extract multi-part zip files | Hendra-k.net | Archive Utility Software

11. the dsc

I think it may be very slow with large files, which may also imply in a problem of space, depending on the size. There must be some non-gui or even gui way to do it in a more straightforward way. The stupid ark first tries to copy any archive it’s going to uncompress to the depths of some obscure ~/.kde/ subfolder, instead of just using the files right where they are.

12. the dsc

zip -F for me resulted in “Missing or empty zip file”, even though the file has 5.1 GB.

I’m not complaining to the post’s author, this is just an aimless rant/sort of advice.

13. Unrequited Love Dude

Hi,

I tried unpacking them with 7zip. But it just says “Can’t open file as archive”. But when I doubleclick it shows that there is a file inside, but I just can’t extract it. Any idea how this can be solved?
    Does it matter whether I start with the first file or with the last to unzip?

Thanks.

14. UbuntuDude

The optionhendra-k@server $ zip -F zipfiles-full.zip is not working for me
    It ask’s me to specify an output.
    Which I then do
    hendra-k@server $ zip -F zipfiles-full.zip –out zipfile-full.zipBut it doesn’t work.
    What can I do.

15. taz

Unfortunately this is wrong about 7zip
    I really wish people would test things out before saying it would work.
    this isn’t the only place that guessed about 7zip though
    The part about concatenating the files might work, but you have to be careful to get them in the right order otherwise it won’t work and depending on the OS the * might list out the files in a different order which means then that that answer won’t work either

16. mitsaras

I know this is quite old, but google is THE problem solver these days.

I downloaded 4 files. 3 were 100mb each (file.z01, file.z02, file.z03) and a 47mb one, “file.zip”. Obviously the last part of a th full archive is the smallest one. Here’s what I did…

$ mv file.zip file.z04
    $ cat file.* > file.zip
    $ zip -FF file.zip --out final.zip
    $ unzip final.zip

17. Dava

Nowadays you don’t need to merge the files on linux. “zip -F” automatically recognises that the input file is a multi-part archive.

zip -F zipfiles.zip –out OneZipArchive.zip
    unzip OneZipArchive.zip

This is a solution i found while trying your solution ;) Thanks for that

18. keke

Every time i need it, i found it there !

I always forgot about -FF zip command. Very useful for multipart file.

cheers !